This week Greenwich Council have announced another consultation on the introduction of Controlled Parking Zones covering a number of areas to the north of Eltham High Street. The Traffic Management Order was advertised on 23rd June and the consultation lasts for 21 days – so please get any responses (supportive, opposing or just suggesting how to improve it) sent in prior to 14th July to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The review was occasioned by the failure to take into account the impact previous proposals would have on businesses around the Tudor Parade, in particular the Tudor Barn (which was not consulted at all). The owners of the Tudor Barn met with Eltham North Conservative Councillors Charlie Davis and Spencer Drury to discuss the problems and eventually the Council relented, going back to the drawing board with the intention of bringing in a fresh set of Controlled Parking Zones for the summer of 2021 to be formally introduced in the autumn of this year.
Residents in the affected areas should have been informed about the proposed changes by letter, but for those outside the areas (who can still respond), the details are as follows:-
- Eltham Park Gardens Area: The scheme proposes to extend the existing CPZ EO permits with controlled hours Monday – Friday, 11am – 12.30pm to include the whole of Eltham Park Gardens.
- East of Westmount Road: All existing CPZ E streets east of Westmount Road – namely Glenlea Road, Glenlyon Road, Glenshiel Road, Glenesk Road (north of Glenure Road) and Westmount Road (north of Glenure Road) – to be brought into CPZ EO permits.
- Well Hall Road / Kidbrooke Lane area: Introduce a new Eltham North CPZ ‘EN’, to include Well Hall Road between Kidbrooke Lane and Rochester Way, Kidbrooke Lane, Elmbrook Gardens, Congreve Road (south of Rochester Way), Prince Rupert Road, Admiral Seymour Road and Moira Road, with the following provisions:
- Controlled hours Monday – Saturday, 9am – 5.30pm.
- The parking bays outside 566 – 632 Westhorne Avenue to remain uncontrolled but these households to be eligible for EN permits.
- Properties 496 -532 Rochester Way also to be granted EN permit eligibility.
- Well Hall Road (Kidbrooke Lane – Rochester Way), currently in CPZ E, to be moved into EN CPZ. The proposals include a mixture of permit holder EN only bays for residents and shared use (permit and paid for parking bays) that could be utilised by residents, visitors and those using the local shops and businesses.
- Kidbrooke Lane – permit holder EN only bays to the north side of the road and a shared use bays to the south. Recent Parking surveys have identified some over provision of permit only parking on Kidbrooke Lane and as a result the design has been amended to change permit only parking bays on the south side of Kidbrooke Lane to shared permit/paid for parking. This will still allow residents to park on the south side but will now enable residents and/or visitors the option of using a visitor voucher or the paid for parking facilities. This will also increase the number of spaces available on street for visitors using local businesses to park.
- Odeon Parade (adjacent to Tom Coombs Close): Existing payment parking bays are present at the top end of the parade. These bays currently operate between Monday – Saturday 9am – 6pm. It is therefore proposed to amend these bays to Monday – Saturday 9am – 5.30pm, in line with all other bays in this area. These bays will be shared use for permit holders (permit EN) to use as well. An overview of the amended proposals is shown overleaf.
As a map these changes look like this:
An overview of the existing Controlled Parking Zones across the Royal Borough of Greenwich can be found here.
A full copy of the letter sent to residents can be found here: